The Holy Spirit, Jonathan Edwards, and The Very Messy World
The Holy Spirit, Jonathan Edwards, and The Very Messy World
In light of what was happening in The First Great Awakening (of the 1730's & '40's); and in response to criticism of some (or all) of the dynamics of that Awakening--I think that Jonathan Edwards was moved (ultimately by God) to carefully assess human nature in the context of religious life and excitement. Pastor Edwards' most prolific antagonist was Charles Chauncy, who greatly resisted the Awakening, (and who, later in life, showed his true colors as a full-blown heretic).
But Jonathan Edwards did such a great job of dissecting the human soul in the matrix of a time of great and general interest in the things of God, and religion in general. The book where he (Edwards) codified his findings is the classic, The Religious Affections.
It has been a while since I personally read Affections, but I am going to try to accurately remember some of the categories Edwards formulated with regard to the Holy Spirit's work in people (sinners).
First of all, I accept the generally-held view that Edwards was operating under the two headings, of the Spirit achieving "Common" Grace, and "Saving" Grace. . . . It is under "Common" Grace that our discussion becomes particularly intriguing--and it contributes to our idea of "The Messy World," (though we would never impugn the Spirit and/or His ministry with anything untoward [at all]). Rather, in God's sovereign will, He (the Spirit) works in some people--even with regard to specifically "religious" dimensions--but (in their cases) not unto regeneration and salvation in Jesus' blood and righteousness.
So, on the "easy" side, is the Spirit's miraculous work of bringing dead and lost sinners unto life, via His regeneration of their souls, and the application of the atonement of Jesus Christ, by divine imputation. (This is "Saving" Grace.) We say "easy," not because it was "easy"; but, because, in our discussion today, the "Common" Grace aspects are much more "complicated."
Bottom line: Edwards came to believe from his many and careful observations, that the Holy Spirit brings some people to (even) a sense of their sin, and perhaps even some remorse for it, and maybe even some "repentance" of it--but nonetheless the Spirit does not bring them all the way to Jesus, and to eternal life in Him via regeneration and imputed righteousness in Christ. (I trust that I am representing Edwards accurately. [Let me know, if you do not think so.]) There are many other subordinate aspects of "Common" Grace, even taught by Pastor Edwards, but I think what I said in this paragraph describes enough of it.
. . . Someone might very appropriately ask, "Why would the Holy Spirit do this?"; and, more-personally, "How may I be sure that I am not one on whom the Spirit did this, (and that, hence), I am not all the way to 'closure' with the Lord Jesus Christ?" These are both really good questions. Let us close this paper by (briefly) trying to answer them; (and to provide some gospel comfort in the Messiah of God's elect).
Perhaps one of the reasons the Holy Spirit does this, is to keep the true church, the authentic saints, humble and dependent upon our Triune God. With the introduction of non-regenerate Christians into the community of the visible church, the redeemed saints are kept much more on their "guard." Also, is it possible, that the Lord uses non-regenerate Christians to spur the true Christians to more fidelity to the gospel, and away from works- or law-righteousness? I would say, this is possible; and we should remember that *all* non-redeemed souls seek to find their "righteousness" in what they do.
If anyone reading this treatise wonders if they are one on whom the Holy Spirit did some work--but not all the way to salvation in Jesus' blood--then they should seek that redemption in Jesus Christ by faith, right now. There is no reason to hold on to death, when Life (in Christ) is presented to us. Come to Jesus by faith. Cast yourself on Him--acknowledging your utter sinfulness, and His complete ability to save you.
The world is a "messy" place because of sin. God allows it to be "messy," even in religious contexts--so as to forward the life and faith of His children--all of whom love Him in and through Jesus Christ His Son.
Rev. Mark J. Henninger
Treatise #122
27 July 2026
https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com
https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com
Comments
Post a Comment