Living The High Life

 Living The High Life


Some of the Puritans--I think, Thomas Watson, in particular--were fond of saying things like, "What can I do to 'entice' or 'tempt' you to be as happy as you could be?"  Their goal was to try to get people--regenerate Christians and total unbelievers alike--to understand that there is a life of happiness and fulfillment that is available to them (and any sinner), should they simply truly desire to have it. . . .

 

This subject is really big; and it encompasses everything of importance in the world of reality: be it of the Triune Godhead or the created realm.  I will not be able to cover it all here; but I want to do my best (with God's sweet assistance and by His sovereign grace) to try to convince anyone who would read these words that they could be blessed beyond anything they can imagine.  I do confess that I am speaking from experience; and I would not want to dishonor my God by in anyway denying this.  Still, I acknowledge that everything I have enjoyed in Jesus is the complete result of God's sheer grace to me and His love for me.  I do not deserve anything that God has done for me--but I am, by grace, extremely appreciative of it all.

 

First of all, we have got to *want* to be happy; and I do not mean "happy" in the sense that we all desire this end as beings created in God's image.  Instead, I mean "happy" in the highest or ultimate sense; and this, of course, means being "happy" in God's way (not mine/or that of sinners).  This, of course, is the great "bug-a-boo"; is it not?  As sinners, we want to be "happy," but we want to be "happy" in our own way--certainly not in God's way.  I am going to acknowledge right here and now, that this "desire" to be truly happy (in God's way), is a miraculous work of His grace in us, via the Holy Spirit, as He focuses all our heart's affections onto Jesus Christ.

 

. . . But let us say that someone is saying, "Yes; I do want to be happy in God's way; would you be willing to help me understand this and achieve it?"  My answer would be, "Sure; I will do my best."  If the true and sincere desire is there, then the "battle" is essentially already won.  Anyone who really desires God's best in Jesus, may (and will) have it, (better, Him [Christ]).  Jesus Christ is the central focus of this holy desire to glorify God by enjoying Him (i.e. being happy in Him) forever.  So, all Life is found in Jesus Christ alone; therefore, to enjoy "The High Life," it must be in Him (alone).  As we are "in" Jesus Christ as His redeemed churchmen (members), we are ushered into the fellowship and embraces of The Father, The Son [as He is considered in His divinity alone], and The Holy Spirit.  Now, we have all the Resources for Life; and this is because we have, by miraculous grace, embraced Jesus Christ, the God/Man, in His gospel of grace and mercy.

 

Providentially, of late, I have been reading the Puritan Thomas Goodwin.  He argues that we typically love God through Jesus, as Christ is our Savior.  But Goodwin cogently points out that the highest love we have for God (the Holy Trinity) is expressed as we love Him (God) through our love for Jesus Christ, as He is the loveliest and most glorious God/Man Person.  I agree with Goodwin; and I believe that this is the functional "key" to living "The High[est] Life."

 

It is very important to state, in harmony with what our Blessed Messiah said many times, that this "High Life" is not an easy life.  In fact, in some ways, it is the hardest life.  But, in more important ways, it is the "easiest" life, since, in Jesus, the "liver" of this Life (Who is Christ) is innocent (in Jesus), has a clean and clear conscience (in Jesus), and enjoys the sweetest fellowship with the Triune God (through Jesus Christ).  The "High Life" in Christ is, without any doubt, the most exciting existence possible; and it is attended with many supernatural providences of the Great God of heaven and earth.

 

Bottom line: IF you want to live life to the full, get a sincere and courageous desire to do so (all in the power of The Holy Spirit).  Then, ask God to give you Jesus Christ and everything associated with Him.  You will find yourself loving who and what God Himself loves, namely, His Son, His church, and His gospel.

 

As thrilling as "The High Life" truly is, I am willing to say, that no one who embarks on it through faith in Jesus Christ and love for God through Jesus Christ ever regrets it.  My encouragement to you is: "Go for it. You will truly be glad you did!"

 

Rev. Mark J. Henninger

Treatise #129

14 August 2026

 

https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com

https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: "A Great Awakening"

How Do we Know we Are Right?

Women In Worship