The Real Distinctions Between Reformed Ministers
The Real Distinctions Between Reformed Ministers
Satan is the great "divider" of people. Upon his Fall from the glorious presence of the Triune God, the devil separated himself from his Creator and from all the elect angels. . . . Then, upon his (Lucifer's) descent to earth, he managed (under divine sovereign prerogative) to part Adam and Eve from their pristine relationship with God; and from one another (Adam and Eve). To this day, Satan's plan has always been to "divide and conquer."
Sometimes Reformed ministers of Christ's true church probably have a bit too much time on their hands--and they sometimes spend it in seeking to discern how they differ from one another. (Someone may accuse me of doing the same thing, right now--but I beg your indulgence, as I hope to show you that my intent is quite opposite the norm; and the "distinctions" I plan to point out, are actual ones, that carry real weight.)
The typical distinctions between Reformed ministers usually run along these lines: this one is "confessional," i.e. traditional, conservative; and this one is "progressive," i.e. less stringent with regard to traditional norms. And though I am not suggesting that these differences are not important; I am proposing that they are not the criterion that matters--especially in the sight of God.
From my own experience in the ordained church gospel ministry for over 37 years, the two benchmarks that do matter, are these: is the man truly regenerate in Jesus Christ; and, is the man truly called by Jesus Christ to be a pastor of His blood-bought and covenanted "sheep"?
I am personally far less concerned about whether a man believes in literal 24 hour creation days, than I am that he believes that God created the world through Jesus Christ (The "Word"); and for God's glory. I do not care so much about the style of the Sunday Worship Service's music, as I do that it extols Jesus Christ in ways that please Him. I am not so concerned about women's roles in ministry, as I am that there is honor and integrity in the way these activities are portrayed.
In other words, even though the "details" matter--the heart is what matters the most. When the heart is right, there is humility and submission to Christ (and one another); and all can be handled with grace. When the heart is wrong, then "heels" are "dug in," and fellowship is broken. No matter if a man conceives of himself as being on the "right" or the "left" of the spectrum of church life--he can be either gracious or cantankerous. But this is actually the biggest factor in determining whether a man is called to the church's gospel ministry, or not. I know that it is not particularly fair, to apply the standard of regeneracy/or non-regeneracy at this point. But, it should go without saying, that for a man to be a true pastor, let alone a true Christian, he must indeed by born again to a living hope in Jesus Christ.
So, it is my conviction--and I am only speaking for myself--that what truly distinguishes a real "difference" between men ordained to the Reformed church gospel ministry, is reality and calling. Is a man truly born again; and is the man really called by Jesus to shepherd His precious people?
I do not wish to be misunderstood: I am (myself) a real "stickler" about certain aspects of the church's ministry, (and much of this centers on the Sunday Worship Service)--but I fully maintain and believe, that the Christ-loving heart is in fact at the heart of all that matters.
[Addendum on 8/4/26 . . . In harmony with what I wrote above, I would hold that a man may be regenerated and called to the pastorate; or that he may be regenerate and not be called to the pastorate. On the "flip" side, I would maintain that God never calls unregenerate men to the pastorate.]
Rev. Mark J. Henninger
Treatise #125
3 August 2026
https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com
https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com
Comments
Post a Comment