A Most Remarkable Lady
A Most Remarkable Lady
Last Sunday, I had the privilege of preaching the gospel in one of our presbytery's churches; and, after the Service, I met a most remarkable lady.
This woman, who will go unnamed, is 101 years old. She was born in 1925. I sat across from her during some fellowship time; and I was absolutely amazed by her. First of all, she has been a faithful Christian church member all these years. She could remember her earlier years in Christ; and even the different names over the years of the church she was attending (that day). We were all enjoying some finger foods--and guess who provided the food? You guessed it! She did.
Here is a lady who is 101 years old, and she is the one concerned to think about bringing some snacks for the saints, so that they had something to eat (after the Worship Service).
This lady's mind was perfectly sharp. There was no indication that she was anything but completely within her full capacity. What was even more impressive, was her spiritual heart--which was tender and humble. She acknowledged her many weaknesses; and gave God in Christ all the glory for His goodness and mercy to her.
Frankly, a lot of times when pastors meet with older people, what we hear is a lot of talk about their aches and pains, and how hard it is to get along with all the inconveniences of life. There was none of that from this aged saint.
Today, I was wondering to myself: "If God keeps me alive for another 30 years, and I am 101 years old, would I be as faithful and upbeat as this lady? Would I still be 'bearing fruit' for Jesus, at such an advanced age?"
Think about that one with me for a moment or two: this lady has been bearing fruit for Christ's kingdom for a century; and she is not done yet. She is still bringing Jesus glory in the world, as a faithful member of the church militant.
Listen, I have met a lot of people in my life; but I am not sure I have ever met anyone quite like this lady!
As I saw her walking out of the church building on Sunday, it was a poignant sight. Think of how many times she has done this. She has been faithfully worshipping the Triune God in church on His days for ten decades!
There is no doubt but that this is a unique saint; but she is totally worth our emulation!
This lady gives new meaning to these words of the psalmist, as they are found in Ps. 92:12-15a "The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the LORD; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the LORD is upright . . . ," (ESV/underlining mine).
Rev. Mark J. Henninger
Treatise #142
30 September 2026
https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com
https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com
Comments
Post a Comment