Movie Review: "Daniel And The Fiery Furnace"
Movie Review: "Daniel And The Fiery Furnace"
[Semi-spoiler alert: if you wish to see this good movie; and you do not want some of its highlights known to you in advance--then you should probably not peruse this little "review."]
Lesley and I just returned home from viewing the film, so I wanted to get my thoughts down while they are still fresh in my mind. . . .
We liked the movie. I liked the movie. It is good. It is very inspiring. The acting is quite impressive. The story stays faithful to the Scripture's accounts; and, when and where there is legitimate speculation regarding certain aspects of the narrative, I think the producers did well in coming up with some believable scenarios.
Quick note: as you know, every Sunday School child knows that it should be, "Daniel and the Lions' Den"; right?--so how do we come up with, "Daniel and the Fiery Furnace"? Good question; and I think the movie gives a credible version of this. (I will not go into it. You can decide for yourself when you see it.)
There are two very moving and inspiring scenes in this production--both of them could bring Christ-loving Christian church members to tears. The first is the great stone smashing the statue Nebuchadnezzar ordered to be built, to bits. Then, the stone becomes a mountain that fills the earth. This picture of Jesus Christ's New Covenant Church Kingdom is truly stirring.
The second wonderful and beautiful scene is that of the Son of Man, the pre-incarnate Christ appearing in the fiery furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. The Christophany is moving; and the worship that the three Jewish men gave Him was both appropriate and inspiring.
The man who plays Daniel did a fine job. The same may be said of Nebuchadnezzar. I especially liked the way the producers portrayed Nebuchadnezzar as a humble student, learning from the young Daniel. I remember highlighting that theme when I preached through that section of the Book of Daniel.
For me, personally, I have a hard time picking up some of the accents. I get that the movie was trying to reflect those cultural nuances, but it is a challenge for me. (No biggie. A lot of you will probably have no issue with this at all.)
It is not a long film, at an hour and 48 minutes--but you will be glad you took time to watch it.
I am not an "expert" on Christian-produced movies that portray actual Bible events, but I think this is probably the very best one of this genre that I personally have ever seen.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Would some people rather not see the actual "face" of the Son of Man, the pre-incarnate Christ? Undoubtedly, that is true.
You will wonder what is "up" with the older gentleman with the turban on his head, who does the narration; and where he fits into the story. You will understand, at the very end.
Let us end this brief review with Nebuchadnezzar's own words, as they are recorded in the infallible and inerrant text of Holy Scripture. They come from Dan. 3:25, and they say this: " 'Look!' [Nebuchadnezzar] answered, 'I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God,' " (NKJV).
Rev. Mark J. Henninger
Treatise #138
21 September 2026
https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com
https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com
Comments
Post a Comment