The Most Underrated Theologian In Church History?
The Most Underrated Theologian In Church History?
First of all, I recognize that all regenerate Christian churchmen qualify to be among the greatest theologians since the post-apostolic era. God alone knows who these dear saints are. . . . But, for the rest of us, we are limited to those dear theologians who have left their written gospel ministrations with us. Many of us know who these eminent and dear fellow-believers are; and the following names typically come to our minds: Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Owen, and Edwards. That is a pretty impressive list right there; and it is far from exhaustive or comprehensive.
. . . But, what about Thomas Goodwin? In my humble opinion, I am becoming more and more convinced that he is very-possibly, the most underrated theologian in church history. In his lifetime, Goodwin was considered one of the finest exegetes of the Apostle Paul to ever come on the scene; but he seems to have been largely forgotten. For my part, I find him an amazing theologian; and I am very much enjoying his readings. Years ago, I acquired volume 8 of "The Works of Thomas Goodwin"; and just earlier this year I began reading this tome. (There are 12 volumes in the collection; and I was able to procure them all very recently.)
At any rate, I am very much relishing this man's work. . . . It is so good. What I am most impressed with, is Goodwin's ability to go deep into theological issues--especially those touching on the gospel; and he parses them out with precision and care. There does not seem to be any limit to his ability to get to the bottom of issues. When he writes something that seems a bit unclear, he typically seems to sense this, and he then re-states the topic with greater clarity. Readers should be alerted to the fact that his style is not super easy to follow--but, once you become more used to it, it sort of begins to fit into your own interpretive framework.
In simple terms, here is why I am so-appreciating Goodwin. . . . His fellow-Puritans are great, as many of you know I like them so much. But, sometimes they do not go the "next step," into diving further into theological subjects. Goodwin does this. In my judgment, he more-fully dissects the great themes that were broached by his predecessors, like Augustine and Calvin, (for instance). Goodwin seems to have more respect for the "scholastics" than I have ever been inclined to have; and he references them (generally) from time to time. Also, I have noticed that some of the great points that Jonathan Edwards brought out in his Religious Affections, particularly those touching on how the Holy Spirit works in souls--sometimes unto redemption (in saving grace); and sometimes not unto redemption (in forms of common grace)--are rather well-developed in Goodwin's writings. We know that Edwards read Goodwin; and I can see where Edwards benefitted a lot from his predecessor (from the previous century).
Here is a section that I absolutely love so much; and it comes from Book 2, Chapter 2, of Goodwin's, The Object and Acts of Justifying Faith: "And though you see not these things, though you see not what the blessed Trinity do for you then at that time when you believe, as that the Father thus gives you to Christ, and that Christ Himself apprehends you, and that the Holy Ghost is sent down into your hearts, and takes you by the hand thus, and carries you back again through Christ to the Father, yet all these things are done, and they are done for you; and when God causes your souls to close with the Lord Jesus, they are thus transacted in heaven for you."
Pastor Goodwin is a great extoller and preacher of the gospel; and a true lover of the Blessed Savior, who brings us into fellowship with the Holy Trinity. I definitely recommend Thomas Goodwin to your readership.
Rev. Mark J. Henninger
Treatise #140
23 September 2026
https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com
https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com
Comments
Post a Comment